As I thumbed through my copy of Bon Appetit the other day, I had a rush of food images from my childhood come spilling forth. So, I jotted down the first food items that came into my head. (Please note that I had a wonderful Mom who cooked delicious and nutritious dinners most every night of the week.) But this list? Let’s just say bologna, ice cream and fried things were the anchors of my young diet. Yeesh. Alice Waters, please forgive me.
- Fried LaChoy lo mein noodles in soy sauce
- Shoprite brand vanilla & chocolate ice cream cups
- Stuffed peppers
- Vanilla ice cream with Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- Peach nectar (Grandma’s house)
- Sara Lee pound cake (Grandma’s house)
- Hershey’s miniatures (Grandma’s house)
- Bologna and yellow mustard on white bread
- Fried bologna
- DiMaio’s pizza
4 responses to “Food flashbacks”
Now if you’d add some greens, fried rabbit (more buckshot than meat when uncle joe shot them), squirrel, and catfish …your list would be complete. 🙂
LOL, where are you from originally??
The old Jiffy Pop Popcorn that was heated on the stove, making a magical tin bubble of burnt goodness appear. Tastykake Cupcakes. Tomato soup with piles of oyster crackers at my grandmother’s house.
Such vivid images. Love the “magical tin bubble of burnt goodness.”